What is User Registration?
User registration simply means introducing intended users to the software for the first time. User registration is typically a one-time operation. Post-user registration users start using the services of the software. User registration should be given more attention when designing your applications.
Why is User Registration Important?
User registration is important because it...
1. provides assurance that only bonafide users are added to the system.
2. provides accountability by reducing chances of backdoor entry into the system.
3. allows trust to be transferred from the software to the intended users of the software.
What kind of applications require User Registration?
Some examples of applications requiring User Registration are:
a) A customer-service portal for a telephone company
b) An online banking website for a bank
c) An extranet website hosted by a company
What security problems are caused due to poor User Registration?
Some problems associated with poor user registration are:
a) Introduction of ghost users in the system
b) Easy subversion of the user creation logistics
c) Confusing forensic paths which make it difficult to pin down hacking attempts to a process employed by the system
User registration consists of three distinct parts:
1. Create User - Creating users at the software console
2. Link User - Associate physical people with the created users
3. Transfer Control - Handing over initial credentials to the linked physical users.